Monday, October 29, 2007

10/29 - Comments on Shared Technology

Lauren's comments on the Parent Portal were very interesting. Just like Progress Book in E. Stbg., it is a good source for parents to be aware of their children's current grades. Parents can then take appropriate measures to steer their children in the right direction. I was taken aback that all teachers had access to the students personal records. I don't know if this would be an invasion of privacy. Although it may be good for a teacher to be aware of potential problems in their classroom, you don't want to steretype students. This is a real catch-22. Are parents aware of this - could they possibly sue?

Shawna's articles on going to college without attending high school was also controversial. While you want to give all students an equal chance to succeed, those students that do follow the traditional path may feel that they are doing all of their work for nothing. Which is the correct path? I think the correct path is the one that works for that particular student.

Biofilms - unbelievable innovation. Its like the "Terminator" revisited. The germs kind of scare me - are they safe?

Innovations - I learned a new word "quirte." Innovation Adoption Rate - s curve - innovators, early adopters and early majority, late majority and laggards. I could apply these terms to my own personal experience using Progress Book in school. One out of six teachers used the program immediately. Right now three other teachers have joined in keeping their gradebooks in Progress Book (PB.) Two teachers do not want to use it and want to keep records of student grades in a record book. In PB, report cards can be completed at the click of a button. Even after shown this feature, several teachers are still wary about using this technology. They want to wait until it is required by the district, and will continue to complete the report cards one skill at a time. I did try it this year, so I guess that makes me part of the early majority. As far as education goes, the "hold-outs" are just as educated as the adopters and early majority. I think they are just set in their ways. They are not currently taking any graduate or undergraduate classes, yet the ones who are trying the program have taken at least one class within the past year. Interesting fact!!

1 comment:

rajansock said...

I missed your blog on this...sorry. It is interesting when you notice the adoption curve in progress:-) I find that I react differently based on the technology. I wonder about you:-0